Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Oops, I Did It Again!

Teaching Your Kids to Have Life-long Healthy Habits

It's amazing what my kid will eat. This is a
raw "Sunny Delight" squash from our garden.
This entire summer, I have made less than 10 attempts to exercise. I quit working on my push-ups and can now only do 10. I gave in to my 9-year-old daughter's constant objections to our daily exercise routine of jumping jacks and sit-ups. We planned to walk the 3 mile loop in the neighborhood nearly every evening, but several 100+ degree days put a stop to that as well. I also quit getting on the scale so I would not remind myself that I once again fell off the "work out" wagon. And I may preach a big "eat healthy most of the time" game, but I have found myself running through the drive through way too many times the last few months.

Why is it so hard for me to stick with what I know is good for me and my family? Quick answer: These are not habits I have followed my entire life.

My point here is not to blame the habits I created in childhood on my parents or grandparents, or school lunches or fast food--it may quite possibly have as much to do with how my brain is programmed--but what I do know is that I need to start creating healthy habits in my children TODAY and EVERY DAY. The more important part of this challenge for me will be sticking with it. I don't want my children thinking it's okay to "give up" on something because it is not easy.

So with renewed conviction, my kids and I will map out a plan this evening that works for our family that includes daily exercise, less convenience food and NO EXCUSES!

I would love to hear how you are working to create life-long healthy habits for your kids.  Comment here or visit me at www.facebook.com/foodmommy.

Tools and Resources:

Nourish Interactive - Healthy Habit Goal Tracking Sheets

American Heart Association - Help Children Develop Healthy Habits

Sesame Street - Healthy Habits for Life

Super Healthy Kids - http://blog.superhealthykids.com/

1 comment:

  1. My biggest challenge is my one hour commute. By the time I get home, I can choose between cooking, cleaning, or playing outside. Not to mention other activities like gymnastics and reading to my child. My newest plan is to park further away from my office so I have to walk further and keeping more fruits and veggies in the house to eat. But we are kind of picky and I don't know how to cook lots of different things.
    Excuses excuses. Baby steps.
    Thanks for the post. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...